Health Benefits from Spirulina
Spirulina is "rich in the omega fatty acids, and especially omega 3, which play key roles in preventing heart disease, lowering bad cholesterol, reducing the severity of arthritis, osteoporosis, depression and diabetes and much more" (6). Further, spirulina "has been shown to be effective against certain cancers & viruses, reduce inflammation, increase immune function, detoxify the liver & kidneys, help with diabetes & liver disease, and offer protection for the brain" (7). These benefits are due to the nutritious quality of spirulina.
A "single tablespoon (7 grams) of dried spirulina powder contains [the following:]
Protein: 4 grams.
Vitamin B1 (Thiamin): 11% of the RDA.
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 15% of the RDA.
Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 4% of the RDA.
Copper: 21% of the RDA.
Iron: 11% of the RDA.
It also contains decent amounts of magnesium, potassium and manganese, and small amounts of almost every other nutrient that we need [with] only 20 calories, and 1.7 grams of digestible carbohydrate" (8). Additionally, since it contains "a small amount of fat (around 1 gram), including both omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in about a 1.5:1 ratio," then "gram for gram, this means that spirulina may literally be the single most nutritious food on the planet" (9). And since it is relatively simple to produce, its health advantages are noteworthy.
The 10 Health Benefits of Spirulina (10).
Recent studies confirm the nutritious quality of spirulina and indicate its impact on other common health concerns:
1. Highly nutritious profile
2. Powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties
3. Spirulina Can Lower LDL and Triglyceride Levels
4. Spirulina Protects LDL Cholesterol From Becoming Oxidized
5. Spirulina Appears to Have Anti-Cancer Properties, Especially Against Oral Cancer
6. Studies Show That It May Reduce Blood Pressure
7. Spirulina Improves Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis
8. Spirulina May Be Effective Against Anemia
9. Muscle Strength and Endurance May Improve
10. Spirulina May Help With Blood Sugar Control
Spirulina and sho Balance
Now let's consider spirulina complementary role in sho Balance. sho Balance by sho Nutrition is a premium probiotics blend with 100 billion CFU of Lactobacillus Casei K-1. In addition to this high-quality, clinically effective level of probiotics, sho Balance also contains a prebiotic FOS (fructooligosaccharides, which "feed" intestinal probiotics and support microflora health) and flaxseed and olive oil (for smooth digestive functioning). To this blend, spirulina then adds powerful antioxidant and immune support. Spirulina, superfood ingredient, was specifically chosen and carefully included in sho Nutrition's vegan probiotics supplement.
Considering Risk & Quality of Production
Some sources advise against spirulina for those with PKU or who might be taking anti-coagulation medicine (11). Others speak to the importance of quality to avoid contamination. For this reason, sho values high production standards and strict regulations to ensure a clean source of spirulina for sho Balance. The spirulina for sho is sourced by DIC Leftec, with highly controlled cultivation and safety measures. This quality assurance reflects our commitment to providing and to living a sho lifestyle.
Living a SHO Lifestyle
Living a simple, healthy, organized - sho lifestyle means taking care of your body and doing what you enjoy. sho Balance and sho Energy are designed to go with you on that daily journey, in a patented, convenient dispenser and easy to take SpheriGels. Check us out on FB and join our sho Lifestyle group to get regular updates about local events, health tips, and inspiring articles. We invite you to "sho" us how you create your life to be one you love!
1. "Spirulina Benefits: 10+ Proven Reasons to Use This Superfood" https://draxe.com/spirulina-benefits/
2. Tohi, W. (2012). "Spirulina Explained: Here's What You Need to Know about this Healing Superfood." https://www.naturalnews.com/036101_spirulina_superfood_nutrients.html
3. Spirulina, image. photo credit: philipp.alexander.ernst <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/117561658@N03/28313249084">A spoon full of Chlorella</a> via <a href="http://photopin.com">photopin</a> <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/">(license)</a>
4. Gabriele, D. (2011). "Nourish Yourself with the Ultimate Superfood." https://www.naturalnews.com/031635_superfood_spirulina.html
5. "A Luxury Health Food and a Panacea for Malnutrition." https://www.theguardian.com/sustainable-business/2014/sep/12/spirulina-health-food-panacea-malnutrition.
6.Gabriele, D. (2011). "Nourish Yourself with the Ultimate Superfood." https://www.naturalnews.com/031635_superfood_spirulina.html
8. Leech, M.S., J. (2017). "10 Health Benefits of Spirulina." https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-proven-benefits-of-spirulina
11. "Spirulina Benefits: 7 Reasons to Try It (& 1 Major Caution)." https://wellnessmama.com/4738/spirulina-benefits/
12. (2018). Members of Team SHO gather for the Scott Coffee 8k in Moorestown NJ.